Know Thy Self: (i) The systems that run the Human body.
Azima Foundational Talk 8/2019.
Know Thy Self: (i) The systems that run the Human body.
We are fearfully & wonderfully made! Psalms 139:14. This is a fact no one can dispute. In 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, we read that “Our body is the temple of the Holy spirit.” This connects well with Genesis 1:26 -27 where God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.”
This is enough evidence that reveals we are part of God’s inner circle. In genesis 2:7, “The Lord God formed man out of the clay of the ground and blew into his nostrils the breath of life.” What other evidence do we need to prove this connection beyond sharing the same breath with God? Notice God did not do this to the rest of the animals He created. We are truly wonderfully made!
The Christian faith is anchored on the Holy Trinity. God the Father, God the son and God the Holy Spirit. We are part of the Holy Trinity because our body is the temple of the holy spirit. We have a sacred obligation to take good care of our body which is “The Temple”
But we cannot take good care of the Temple if we have scanty knowledge of our body. Our complex body deserve to come with a reference manual to guide us how to operate and maintain it. Unfortunately, the clever people who gain from manipulating knowledge to their advantage ensures that we remain shallow in understanding our body. Apart from the few verses in the bible that explain what we should eat and some lessons in Biology for those who do sciences , there is not enough effort made to help us understand our complex body and the systems that run it. not unless you enroll in medical school. Azima Wellness exist to make a positive input in this area.
Come with me we unpack our body systems in this series of articles, “know thyself starting today.”
Our body comes in different forms. It has the physical, chemical and the spiritual form.
1. We will start with the physical part. Human Physiology.
Physiology has its origin from Latin and Greek, meaning Natural philosophy or from nature. It is a branch of Biology that deals with the functions and activities of life or living matter from cells, tissues and organs, and other physical and chemical phenomena involved. Physiology is a branch of Natural science.
The human Physiology is complex. Very complex indeed. At the cellular level, we are made of tens of trillion cells, 78 organs made up of tissues. We have 4 distinct types of Tissues. Muscular tissues, connective tissues, nervous tissues and epithelial tissues. The 78 organs in our body are made from the four groups of tissues. Tissues are a group of similar cells that work together to do a specific job.
Everything in the human body is made up of cells grouped in tissues that make our body organs. We have 78 organs that work together within 12 systems. These systems are as tabulated below;
1. Skeletal -The skeletal system comprises bones, cartilage, ligaments and tendons. Its functions include supporting the body, preventing damage to soft tissues, enabling movement and making blood cells.
2. Muscular -The muscular system includes cardiac, skeletal and smooth muscles that enable the body to move, as well as offering support and heat generation. They are made of muscular tissues.
3. Integumentary-The integumentary organ system includes the hair, nails and skin and acts as a barrier between the interior of the body and the outside world. It protects the body from damage and infiltration by micro-organisms and also keep the fluids inside the body and helps maintain body temperature. They are made of epithelial tissues.
4. Respiratory -The respiratory system comprises the bronchi, diaphragm, lungs, mouth, nose and throat. This system manages breathing, transporting air to facilitate gaseous exchange.
5. Cardiovascula-The cardiovascular system includes the blood, heart and vascular network. This system moves nutrients and waste products through the body and assists with maintaining body temperature and pH.
6. Digestive-The gastrointestinal (Digestive) system enables the body to digest food substances by breaking down food substances into simpler forms that can be utilized by the body’s cells. The digestive tract (alimentary canal) is a continuous tube with two openings: the mouth and the anus.
7. Urinary-The urinary or renal system consists of the kidneys, ureters, bladder, and the urethra. The purpose of the urinary system is to eliminate waste from the body, regulate blood volume and blood pressure, control levels of electrolytes and metabolites, and regulate blood pH.
8. Nervous-The nervous system includes the brain, nerves, sensory organs and spinal cord. As a unit, it gathers and utilizes information, and controls short-term modifications in other systems.
9. Endocrine-The endocrine system contains the adrenals, ovaries, pineal, pituitary, testes and thyroid. These glands work together to send hormonal messages through the body and control long-term alterations in the body systems.
10. Immune-The immune system includes adenoids, leukocytes, spleen, thymus and tonsils. Its function is defense against bacteria, viruses and other pathogens that maybe harmful.
11. Lymphatic-The lymphatic system comprises lymph, lymph nodes, lymph duct and lymph vessels. This system defends the body against infections and diseases, and also moves lymph between the blood and tissues.
12. Reproductive-The organs of the male reproductive system are specialized for three primary functions: To produce, maintain, transport, and nourish sperm (the male reproductive cells), and protective fluid (semen). To discharge sperm within the female reproductive tract. To produce and secrete male sex hormones.
– The organs of the female reproductive system are specialized for producing the female egg cells necessary for reproduction, called the ova or oocytes. The system is designed to transport the ova to the site of fertilization. Fertilization of an egg by a sperm occurs in the fallopian tube.
These are the major systems that work together to keep the human body functioning.
We will unpack them deeper to understand ourselves better. Do not think of going away. I have more exciting information that is good to know. I will share all.
With profound respect,
Coach Maina Azimio.ICF- Accredited Certified Professional Coach,
Conference Speaker and Corporate Trainer in Wellness.Tell: 0704 561 095 or 0722 516 896Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgFollow me on Facebook; Maina Azimio & Azima wellness Consultants.Twitter; @Azima_WellnessLinkedIn; Maina AzimioYouTube; Maina Azimio.or Join our Daily Conversation chat on Telegram or WhatsApphttps://t.me/joinchat/EGyHtUJGUpEe3WOlE6NLRghttps://chat.whatsapp.com/Hw26iOtqlrOHe1ucvjCDO1